Laser Hair Removal is a cosmetic treatment that harnesses laser beams to target hair follicles and remove unwanted body hair efficiently and effectively.
Laser Hair Removal is a revolutionary technology that can remove unwanted body hair permanently. Dr Sharvari Pandit, an expert Dermatologist has written this in-depth blog to explain all aspects of this treatment to you.
Body hair is one of the most unwanted aspects of our body. It makes people feel self conscious and shabby. Women spend hours every month using various techniques like waxing and shaving to get rid of body hair. Not just women, but even the modern, metrosexual man now wants to be free of body hair.
Everyone loves a head full of luscious hair, but the same cannot be said about body hair. Add to that the coarse texture, the varying color tone affecting the skin color and what you get is a mess that causes you embarrassment and makes you think twice about what clothes you want to wear.
Dr Sharvari Pandit (MBBS, DDV(Skin & VD), MD(SEY)), our leading Cosmetologist, Dermatologist and Trichologist 100% empathises with this situation and has come up with the perfect solution for it – Laser Hair Removal.
This blog covers FAQs like “What is laser hair removal? How does laser hair removal work? What are the benefits of laser hair removal? Is laser hair removal safe? Where can you get laser hair removal in Pune?
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser Hair Removal is an amazing medical treatment that can safely and effectively remove all unwanted and excessive hair from the body. It makes use of concentrated beams of laser which target the hair follicles. The power emitted by the laser inhibits further growth of the hair follicles thus making the results of laser hair removal long-lasting.
Why Do People Opt For Laser Hair Removal?
Typically speaking, we are all either born with or later acquire body hair. Men’s body hair is very different from women’s body hair. Men have thicker and coarser hair whereas women tend to have softer and thin hair.
In today’s time and age, a well-groomed man is one who has less or no body hair. Whereas a beautiful woman is one who has no body hair at all. A modern woman is generally expected to have a soft, silky skin with no hair at all times.
To achieve this, men and women opt for various options like waxing, shaving, hair removal creams, epilators, threading, etc. However, all of these either come with the con of being tremendously painful, full of harsh chemicals or even pave a way for allergic reactions. Also, one needs to keep on repeating these treatments periodically.
On the other hand laser hair removal safely gets rid of all unwanted hair on the body. It not only helps to get rid of the body hair, but also can be helpful to give a proper shape to beards, moustaches, eyebrows and sideburns.
The results of a laser hair removal treatment are quite long lasting which saves on multiple trips to the salon!
Before-After Results For Laser Hair Removal
What Are The Benefits Of Laser Hair Removal?
The three main benefits why modern men and women are opting for Laser Hair Removal are:
- Permanent removal as compared to periodic salon treatments
- Safe and scientifically proven medical technology
- Economic advantage – when the patient compares the expenditure on salon treatments over the years, they realize it is cheaper to undergo laser hair removal treatment.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Dr Sharvari Pandit, a leading Cosmetologist, Dermatologist and Trichologist at Pandit Clinic, Pune explains how laser hair removal technology works in simple terms:
- 1.Laser hair Removal targets the hair follicle and involves the heating process. After the laser is targeted on the follicle, the follicle heats up, gets cooked and is eventually destroyed. This happens due to the energy released by the laser tissue interaction. This process is called photothermolysis. In other words, destruction of the hair follicle due to heat generated by the laser light
- Some lasers like Nd YAG work on the blood vessels that supply the follicle. They kill the hair follicle by heating the hemoglobin and blocking the blood supply.
- The hair follicle lies in the depth of the skin and killing the follicle without damaging the skin is the main feature of all Laser hair Removal machines.
- The visible hair in the skin comprises between 10 to 50 % of hair follicles that are actually in the skin. Lasers can treat actively growing hair or hair which is in the anagen phase. This is the time when the hair has maximum melanin content and the laser target is well defined. This also implies that the hair removal can not be completed in one session.
- On an average 6 to 8 sessions are needed for getting good reduction. Also, the number of sessions greatly vary according to various genetic and hormonal factors. These sessions are generally held 4 to 8 weeks apart.
How Is Laser Hair Removal Done At Pandit Clinic?
Pandit Multispeciality Clinic has been a pioneer in introducing the technology of lasers in India. Laser Hair Removal was introduced in Pandit Clinic in the year 1998 with an internationally imported device called Epilight from Israel. It was the first laser hair device in the entire continent of Asia.
Over the last twenty years Pandit Clinic has offered State-of-the-Art technology to its clients. Lumenis 1, lightsheer Duet, lightsheer desire, M22 were roped into practice as the technology evolved and we understood more and more about the hair follicles. Today, we have tremendous experience in the field of laser hair removal in India
Pandit Clinic believes in evolving and adopting various technological advancements. The highly advanced LightSheer Dezire machine is used for Laser Hair Removal. It uses clinically proven diode laser treatment to effectively get rid of excessive and unwanted hair.
This latest, state-of-the-art machine comes with pros like comfortable treatments with long lasting results and short treatment times. It has special adjustments which help to effectively remove hair not only from larger areas of the body, but also the smaller and delicate areas.
- High Speed Vacuum Assisted technology
This is beneficial for larger areas like back, abdomen, chest, hands and legs, under arm region, etc.
- ChillTip ™ technology
This involves a cool sapphire tip which targets small and delicate areas like eyebrows, upper lips for women, beard, moustache, etc.
Learn more about LightSheer Dezire
What Preparation Is Necessary Before A Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
There are a few things that need to be kept in mind before undergoing a Laser Hair Removal.
- Intimating the doctor of any and all skin allergies, previous cosmetic skin treatments, history of scarring, etc is necessary to carry on the treatment without any impediment.
- Avoiding direct sunlight is necessary for a few weeks in order to carry out the treatment smoothly.
- The doctor might prescribe a few skin lightening creams or treatments in order to take care of any existing tan or darkness.
- Avoiding any other hair removal treatments like plucking or waxing must be avoided as it pulls out the follicle which is the main target for laser hair removal.
- Shaving, although is encouraged as it does not have an effect on the hair follicle. This helps to minimize surface skin burns due to the effect of lasers on the hair shaft outside the skin.
One needs to follow the doctor’s advice to the word before undergoing a Laser Hair Removal treatment.
What To Expect After A Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
- Laser Hair Removal Treatments are carried on in multiple sessions depending upon each individual case. After each session, some ice or gel might be applied in order to take care of the redness which is common.
- Sun exposure must be avoided in between sessions to avoid developing a tan.
- The hair does not fall off immediately, but rather after a few days. The results are generally long lasting, however, touch ups after 6 to 8 months might be necessary to maintain the lessened hair growth.
Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?
The results of laser hair removal are generally quite long-lasting. However, it is semi-permanent. Hence, touch-ups are required in order to maintain the results.
Is Laser Hair Removal Painful?
Laser hair removal is a painfree procedure. However, often before undergoing laser hair removal, it is recommended that you shave so that skin-surface burns are avoided
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe?
Yes, Laser hair removal is safe. Patients who undergo this treatment speak of mild discomfort which is similar to experiencing a sunburn.
But no major health issues come up due to this treatment. Patients have been vocal about how safe and tolerable this procedure is. In fact it is one of the few medical procedures that doesn’t even need pain medication!
Laser Hair Removal is an excellent and safe alternative to all other hair removal treatments to have long lasting results. This helps you to be ready always and opens up your freedom to wear whatever you feel like, that too, whenever you want!
We hope that this blog helped you to understand Laser Hair Removal. In case you are wondering whether or not Laser hair Removal is for you, we invite you for a consultation with our expert Dr Sharvari Pandit who will guide you and answer all your questions! You can also get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org or +91 88059 80048